Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Crib Rail Cover

I decided that since Elijah was a beaver when he was 5 months old and wanted to eat his crib that I would cover the rails with hand towel and wrap tape around them..... that wasn't the greatest idea... I know this! I finally decided that it was horribly ugly and that he needed a crib rail cover, so I started my project of sewing one. Step one was making a pattern. I wanted it to fit over the while rail and then secure with Velcro between each of the rails. I measured the length and then measured the spaces between the rails and the rails themselves. I then drew the pattern on shipping paper, which is in the home office section at the store. Here's the pattern that I ended up with (the lines are my guide for where I sew the pieces together):
I then traced the pattern onto my 2 pieces of fabric:

Then, I cut a piece of batting that would fit between the two fabric pieces, not including the notches for the straps:

Once all the pieces were cut, I put the outside parts of the fabric together and then put the batting on top. Time to sew! Starting with the long side that all 3 pieces share:

Then the other long side with the notches, making sure to only go around the outside perimeter so that when it is flipped right side out the notches will become straps:
Once the two sides were sewn together, I turned it right side out, including the straps and then folded the ends in and sewed them shut and sewed a reinforcement along the side with the straps:
 The last step was to sew the Velcro on:
The only thing left to do was put it on Elijah's crib! I think this turned out really great!

No comments:

Post a Comment